ACTS OF 1998
1 This Act may be cited as the Nova Scotia Teachers College Foundation Act. 1998, c. 20, s. 1.
2 In this Act,
(a) "Board" means the Board of Directors of the Foundation;
(b) "Foundation" means the Nova Scotia Teachers College Foundation;
(c) "Minister" means the Minister of Education and Culture. 1998, c. 20, s. 2.
Nova Scotia Teachers College Foundation
3 There is hereby established a body corporate to be known as the Nova Scotia Teachers College Foundation. 1998, c. 20, s. 3.
4 The objects of the Foundation are to
(a) administer all scholarships, trusts and awards of the former Nova Scotia Teachers College; and
(b) solicit money from both private and public sources to maintain and build scholarship, trust and award funds. 1998, c. 20, s. 4.
Board of Governors and Chair
5 (1) The affairs of the Foundation shall be managed by a Board of Governors of not more than five members.
(2) Members of the Board shall be appointed by the Governor in Council for such term or terms as the Governor in Council may determine.
(3) The Minister shall designate one of the members of the Board to be the Chair of the Board.
(4) Members of the Board shall not receive any remuneration for being members of the Board but shall be reimbursed for reasonable expenses necessarily incurred in carrying out their duties pursuant to this Act. 1998, c. 20, s. 5.
Transfer of administration
6 The administration of the scholarships, trusts and awards listed in the Schedule to this Act is hereby transferred to the Foundation. 1998, c. 20, s. 6.
Manner of administration
7 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Board shall administer the scholarships, trusts and awards listed in the Schedule to this Act in accordance with their terms.
(2) Where the Board cannot administer the scholarships, trusts and awards in accordance with all their terms, the Board shall administer them in accordance with those terms to the extent possible in order to attain their objects. 1998, c. 20, s. 7.
Power to transfer
8 (1) The Board may transfer a scholarship, trust or award listed in the Schedule to this Act, and its administration, to any educational institution for the benefit of the students enrolled in teacher education programs at that institution.
(2) Where the Board transfers a scholarship, trust or award to an education institution pursuant to subsection (1), the Minister of Finance shall transfer the funds of that scholarship, trust or award to that institution. 1998, c. 20, s. 8.
Deposit of money received
9 All money received by the Foundation for the purpose of any scholarship, trust or award listed in the Schedule to this Act shall be deposited with the Department of Finance. 1998, c. 20, s. 9.
10 The fiscal year of the Foundation is the period ending the thirty-first day of March in each year. 1998, c. 20, s. 10.
11 (1) The Foundation shall prepare and submit to the Minister an annual report in such form and containing such information as the Minister determines.
(2) The Minister shall table the annual report in the House of Assembly within fifteen days of receiving it or, if the Assembly is not then sitting, within fifteen days after the Assembly next sits. 1998, c. 20, s. 11.
12 The Foundation and its property are exempt from taxation under or pursuant to any Act of the Legislature. 1998, c. 20, s. 12.
13 The Governor in Council may make such regulations as he deems necessary or advisable for the more effective carrying out of the purposes of this Act. 1998, c. 20, s. 13.
1. Henry Button Scholarship
2. George T. Mitchell Award
3. Ileen Archibald Award
4. Dr J. P. MacCarthy Award
5. L. A. DeWolfe Scholarship
6. N.S.T.C. Educational Trust
7. Dr Hugh A. Noble Award
8. R. L. Danson Scholarship
1998, c. 20, Sch.